Charles Barber's Flowing hair design in aluminum.
The following pedigrees are from Heritage's 8/16 ANA sale.
1) Maris (H.P. Smith, 6/1886), Garrett-JHU, Stacks 3/76, Harry W. Bass Foundation, gem proof.
2) Paramount (Rare Coin List #10, 6/1975); Jeff Browning; Dallas Bank Collection (Sotheby's and Stack's, 10/2001), lot 370; Simpson Collection - PCGS67, illustrated above
3) Auction '89 (Superior, 7/1989), lot 874; September Sale (Stack's, 9/2003), lot 704; David Queller; Lemus Collection (Heritage, 1/2009), lot 1938 - NGC65, gilt.
4) Heritage 1/07 FUN, Virginia collection-Heritage 8/16 ANA - PCGS64
5) Rio Rancho Estate (Superior, 10/1974), proof, gilt
The last 4 pieces account for the Woodin-1914 ANS exhibit, Newcomer, 2 from the Virgil Brand collection ex via Adams on 3/13/11 and Boyd on 1/28/21 and another ex Jackson (U.S Coin 5/13), Elder 2/21.
It was also part of a goloid set. To view Barber's set which included this design, click here.
For additional information on this and other patterns for international coinage, click here.
They were also struck in the following metals.
Gold J1657/P1857 with about 20 known. These were struck from shaved half eagle planchet stock resulting in the coins having striated surfaces.
Copper J1658/P1858 with over a dozen believed to exist.
Photo courtesy of Sotheby's from their Browning sale catalog.