The Longacre design with stars combined with the regular reverse. These were sold as part of complete sets from the half dime to the silver dollar. To view the set, click here.
The flag on the obverse on this die has 13 stars and is often called the obverse of 1871. It is rarer than the 1870 obverse with 22 stars on the flag used on J1145/P1287. This was apparently implemented by William Barber as Longacre died in 1869.
This design is known in the following combinations.
J1138A/P1276 silver with reeded edge with the following confirmed.
1) Kagin's 11/74, Kagin's 77ANA & 7/79 (as silverplated copper in error), Heritage 3/97 Fixed Price List, Southern collection, Simpson-Heritage 4/21, Heritage 8/22 ANA - PCGS63, 395 grains
2) Farouk, Kosoff, Stirling-Heritage 5/09, Heritage 8/10, Heritage 6/21, Heritage 1/22 FUN - NGC62, cleaned
3) Heritage 4/06, Heritage 4/15 - NGC61, cleaned
4) MARCA 5/88 (as a J1145/P1287 in error), Superior 9/02 (as a J1145/P1287 in error) - NGC60, Morgan-StacksBowers 8/19 ANA - PCGS61
5) a specimen graded NGC64 which has supposedly been in a collection prior to the above 4 being offered. Same as #1 ?
One of these, probably #2, was part of the Woodin-1914 ANS exhibit.
J1138B/P1277 silver with plain edge. May not exist, the Woodin 1914 ANS exhibit listing may be J1146/P1288.
J1138C/P1278 copper with reeded edge with only 3 confirmed.
1) B/M 11/02, southern collection as PCGS65RB, Simpson-Heritage 2/21 - PCGS65BN, illustrated above courtesy of Bowers & Merena.
2) Stacks 5/90, Queller-Heritage 1/09 - NGC65BN.
3) Simpson-Heritage 8/21 - PCGS66RED, misslabbed as a J1147/P1289 in error !!
J1138D/P1279 copper with plain edge. May not exist, the Woodin 1914 ANS exhibit listing may be J1148/P1290.
J1138E/P1280 aluminum with reeded edge with 2 known as follows:
1) B.T. Schorer 5/73, Bass-HWBRF, Heritage 8/14 as NGC65, Simpson-Heritage 1/21, Heritage 6/21 - PCGS66, illustrated below courtesy of Heritage.
2) Stacks 3/65, Kentucky collection, GreatCollections.com 1/17, Heritage 4/20, Saul Teichman - NGC64
This used to be J1138B in earlier editions of Judd.
J1138F/P1281 aluminum with plain edge which is unconfirmed.