William Barber's "Amazonian" design considered to be one of the most beautiful ever made by the US Mint. This design was issued in sets of the quarter dollar, half dollar and silver dollar in silver, copper as above and aluminum. To view the set, click here.
The Amazonian name dates to the 1890 New York Coin and Stamp auction of the Lorin G. Parmelee collection and was probably given by David Proskey.
It differs from the quarter J1195-J1197/P1335-P1337 and dollar J1205-J1207/P1345-P1347 designs in having an olive branch for peace draped over the shield as there was a criticism that the design was too military. It is likely that this die was made last.
The following examples are confirmed: To see images of all of these, click here.
1) Garrett-JHU, B/R 11/79 Garrett I, 87 ANA, Morgan-StacksBowers 8/19 ANA - PCGS64, Pollock plate
2) Doughty, Byron Reed-Durham Museum - ICG66, to view click here.
3) Taylor-New Netherland's 61st (6/70), Bass, HWBRF-Heritage 1/23 FUN - PCGS64
4) 78 ANA, Sieck-81 ANA, Heritage 1/03, Superior 7/03, Heritage 6/04, Stacks 1/09 as NGC66, Simpson-Heritage 11/20, Heritage 4/21, Heritage 8/21 - PCGS66, illustrated above
5) Hughes 1/80, Hughes 7/80, NERCA 1/81, Queller-Heritage 1/09, Jewell, StacksBowers 8/11 ANA, StacksBowers 8/12 ANA, StacksBowers 1/13 - NGC64
6) Bergin-Stacks 6/84, Superior 9/08 as NGC65, Simpson-Heritage11/21 - PCGS66
7) B/R RCR #32 & #33, Auction 90, Superior 5/93 - NGC64
8) Farouk, Terrell-Bowers and Ruddy 5/73, Simpson-Heritage 1/09 - NGC65
9) Dibello-Stacks 5/70, Evans-Bowers and Merena 8/98, Kagins, Stacks 11/08 as NGC65, Simpson-Heritage 9/20 - PCGS65
10) Rothchild-Stacks 10/03, Simpson - PCGS66
There are also 2 or 3 in complete silver sets which may be additional specimens.
Others which may be additional specimens include Judd, Lohr, Kreisberg 11/70, Champa. Col Green owned 3.
Examples were also struck in copper J1201/P1341 and aluminum J1202/P1342.
For additional information on this and the other denominations, click here.
Photo courtesy of Heritage.