William Barber's sailors head design with "In God We Trust" above Liberty's portrait and 13 stars added around, one of 4 different but similar obverse dies of this year.
These were struck in the following combinations.
Silver J1462/P1612. Only 2 were struck as follows:
1) Woodin, Newcomer, Col Green, Boyd, Farouk, Judd, Kosoff-B/M 11/85, Novoselsky, Kagins, southern collection, Simpson - NGC65, illustrated above.
2) Woodin, Granberg, Kosoff-B/M 11/85, Auction 86 - cleaned/laquered.
These were struck on 420 grain trade dollar planchets so either these may have been trade dollar patterns or the Mint simply used what was available at the time.
Copper with reeded edge J1463/P1613 with the following confirmed.
2) Garrett-JHU, B/R Garrett II 3/80, Superior 10/89, Auction 90 - PCGS63RB
3) Sieck-B/R 81 ANA, Heritage 2007 ANA as PCGS66RB, Simpson-Heritage 5/22 - PCGS66BN
4) Turoff-B/M 5/94 as PCGS64RB, Superior 9/94 - NGC65RB
5) B/R 4/81, Hughes 11/81, Heritage 1/07, 1/11 - PCGS65BN, with corrosion spot at dentil near N in United
6) PCGS62BN, Heritage 2008 ANA - NGC64BN, probably ex Farouk, Dibello, Crouch
7) Private collection, Heritage 4/17 - PCGS62RD, cleaned
Copper with plain edge J1463A/P1614. This is unique and is ex Col Green as AW1485a, Farouk, HWBRF-B/M 5/99, Rau-Heritage 4/18, Heritage 9/20 - PCGS62RB
Photo courtesy of PCGS.