George Morgan's coiled hair design in aluminum.
For additional information on this and other patterns for international coinage, click here.
It was also part of a goloid set. To view Morgan's set which included this design, click here.
Examples were also struck as follows:
Gold J1638/P1838 with over a dozen known.
Copper J1639/P1839 with about a dozen known.
Aluminun J1640/P1840 with the following 5 or 6 known as follows.
1) Maris-H.P. Smith, 6/1886, Garrett-JHU, Stacks 3/76, Bass-Harry W. Bass Jr. Research Foundation - gem proof
2) Merkin, 9/67, Sloss, Superior 10/74, 79 ANA, Superior 8/04, Stacks 7/08 - NGC67
3) Rarcoa, 5/71, Steve Ivy 2/83, Heritage 88 ANA, Queller-Heritage 1/09 - NGC66
4) Paramount 6/75 Rare Coin list #10, Browning-Dallas Bank Collection (Sotheby's/Stacks, 10/01), Heritage 1/09 - NGC63
5) Auction '80, Auction '83 - gilt.
6) Smithsonian, donated in 1993, gilt. The image on the Smithsonian website does not appear to match #5.
Earlier pedigrees for the last 4 include 2 ex-Brand ex Virgil Brand via Adams on 3/13/11 and Boyd on 1/28/21, another ex Woodin-1914 ANS exhibit, Newcomer and another ex Jackson (U.S Coin 5/13), Elder 2/21.
White Metal J1641/P1841 which is unique.
Photo courtesy of Sotheby's from their Browning sale catalog.