George Morgan's "Shield Earring" design considered to be one of the most beautiful ever made by the US Mint. This design was issued in sets of the quarter dollar, half dollar and silver dollar in both silver as above and copper.
The following examples are confirmed:
1) Smithsonian - Pollock plate, to view the entire set, click here.
2) Dibello-Stacks 5/70, Bass-HWBRF
3) Turoff-B/M 3/94 - PCGS63
4) Col Green, Taylor (B.G. Johnson 12/13/44 invoice), NN61st 6/70, Fred-B/M 11/95, Dr. Linkner - PCGS64
5) Judd, Florida collection-B/R 10/76, Sieck-81 ANA, Simpson - PCGS64, has a ping below the second S in STATES.
6) Hughes 1/80, Hughes 7/80, Novoselsky, Alhambra-Hanks, Heritage 10/99 (not sold), Superior 4/00 FPL, B/M 5/04, M Hagen as NGC66, private collection - PCGS66, illustrated above.
7) Nerca 3/77, Nerca 7/78, Heritage 1/04 as PCGS61, southern collection, Simpson-Heritage 11/20 - PCGS62
8) Anderson/Dupont-Stacks 11/54, Bergin-Stacks 6/84, Heritage 4/09 as NGC65, Simpson collection - PCGS65
9) F.K. Saab, Auction 81, Heritage 2/85, Morgan-StacksBowers 8/19 ANA – PCGS64
10) Evans-B/M 8/98, StacksBowers 8/17 ANA - NGC64
11) Rothchild-Stacks 10/03, Queller-Heritage 1/09 - NGC64 possibly one of above
Col Green owned 3.
Examples were also struck in copper J1701/P1903.
For additional information on this and the other denominations, click here.
Photo courtesy of Heritage.