This design is believed by some researchers to be a fantasy piece struck in 1858 or later for sale to collectors as the reverse die used is not believed to have been created in 1856.
Examples were struck as follows:
with over a dozen believed to exist.
with at least the following 6 known. This includes corrections to the pedigrees in Pollock. To see images of all of these, click
1) Anderson-Dupont-Stacks 11/54, Kagins 1/79, B/M 1/96, Kagins 3/17 – PCGS62BN with 2 dark spots by the first S in STATES and spots above the left edge of O and ONE on the N in ONE
2) Federal Brand 1/63, Crouch-Superior 6/77, Branigan-B/R 78 ANA, Heritage 7/15 - ANACS60 obverse tooled
3) Heritage 2/21 – PCGS genuine AU details damaged
4) StacksBowers 11/21 – PCGS62BN
5) Stacks 4/77 with defect at E in STATES
6) Kagins 1/75
Photo courtesy of Tim Larson.